On our Facebook page, we posted was is admittedly a disturbing picture comparing God to an abusive spouse. We also put it up here. See, right there --->
A person chose to respond to this picture with the following: (The caps really are hers!) IM OFFENDED BY THIS PICTURE BECAUSE NO WHERE IN THE BIBLE DOES IT SAY THAT GOD SAYS ANY OF THESE NON RELIEABLE QUOTES
Now, for some reason, either Facebook itself, or one of my compatriots, marked this as spam, and moved on. "ein minuten bitte" said I, for I felt that her words required a response. Now, since the post is several days old now, and Timeline, as you all know, can really suck sometimes, it stood to reason that most of our loyal followers may never go back it time(line) to read my lenghty and researched rebuttal. NO NO NO, this cannot stand, I say! So, I decided to post it here so that we all can share in the fun. And, if you want to follow along and see if [person] ever replies, then just take a look at our REASON Podcast Facebook page.
What follows is my response:
[Person], In spite of your inability to find that pesky caps lock key, I have decided to address your statement. I shall begin by saying that the quote marks are slightly misleading, but to represent that the above statements do not represent the will of God is a position that could only be held by someone who has not taken a look at this so called holy book that you refer to. I shall now address each statement, which YOU imply is not the intention of your God:
1) 'You're nothing without me' (John 15:5) - I am the vine; you are the branches. If you remain in me and I in you, you will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing.
2) 'If you even think about leaving me...' (1 Corinthians 5:13) - God will judge those outside. “Expel the wicked person from among you.”
3) 'You don't deserve me.' (Matthew 10:38-39) - Whoever does not take up their cross and follow me is not worthy of me. Whoever finds their life will lose it, and whoever loses their life for my sake will find it.
4) ' You'll never find anyone as good as me.' (Exodus 20:3) - You shall have no other gods before me.
5) 'You brought this upon yourself.' (Jeremiah 2:17) - Have you not brought this on yourselves by forsaking the Lord your God when he led you in the way?
6) 'I know best.' (Luke 13:3) - For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.
7) 'You're a terrible person, and you need to do better.' (Luke 13:3) - I tell you, no! But unless you repent, you too will all perish.
8) ' You're not worthy of my love.' (Romans 3:23) - for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God
9) 'I'm only doing this because I love you.' (Hebrews 12:6) - because the Lord disciplines the one he loves, and he chastens everyone he accepts as his son.
10) 'Do not listen to anyone who doesn't understand what we have' (Psalm 14:1) - The fool says in his heart, “There is no God.” They are corrupt, their deeds are vile; there is no one who does good.
So, [person], I hope that straightens out any misunderstandings resulting from the (admittedly improper) quotes. If that does not clear it up, however...let me summarize: Your God is a wicked, horrible monster, and you should be ashamed of yourself for standing behind the words I just quoted above.